Recently, a group of scammers have been calling victims claiming to be the CRA. These scammers have been attempting to use scare tactics to get people to send them money.
The CRA provided us with the following steps to follow if you are unsure if the person communicating with you is an actual CRA employee:
- Ask the person calling you to leave a note in your file with the date and time they contacted you.
- Tell the person to call you back at another time.
- Call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 for personal, or 1-800-959-5525 for business.
- When connected, ask the agent if there is a note in your file.
- If there is a note in your file with the date and time of the first phone call, then the call is legitimate, but if it is not, the call was fake.
- Lastly, remember the CRA will almost always communicate through mail and/or your online account, and they will not ask for payments over the phone.
Follow the link below to learn about more ways to protect yourself from potential scams, and how to determine the validity of an actual CRA agent.