At KMSS, we strive to create a work environment where team members love their jobs. We strive for our work environment to be more than just work. We realize that work is a large part of life, and we want our people to enjoy it. We are an accounting firm located in the heart of downtown Calgary, and we have built our office in a way that fosters a strong positive work culture. Our accounting practice is focused on small businesses in the Calgary and Bow Valley (Canmore/Banff) region. We feel the close interaction each of our team members get with our clients provides for a work environment that is more personal where each person can see the value his/her job creates. We also realize personal time away from your job is important, so we offer banked time, core hours, eight flex days, and three weeks’ vacation to start. KMSS cares deeply about Calgary and the Bow Valley, and we offer opportunities for team members to take time away from their accounting work and volunteer in a way that gives back to the community.
The opportunities offered by KMSS are as diverse as the individuals we meet. We have opportunities for administrative assistants, bookkeepers and information technology technicians as well as for CPA students, CPAs and tax specialists.
At KMSS, we become closely involved with our clients as business advisors and in developing business strategies based on sound financial management principles. Serving mainly small- to medium-sized entrepreneurial businesses provides the opportunity for new team members, including students, to be involved in all aspects of their business, from compliance and tax planning to management advisory.
Working at our Firm Offers Many Advantages
- We offer competitive compensation and benefits. KMSS’s practices are based on a number of factors including the team member’s demonstrated performance, local market conditions, the practices of other mid-sized accounting firms and levels recommended by compensation experts.
- We provide a sincere commitment to and genuine opportunities for work-life balance.
- We know our business well. We have extensive experience with and a thorough understanding of entrepreneurial and owner-managed businesses.
- We are a client-driven firm building our services around the needs of our clients. We strive for excellence and take a genuine interest in our clients’ businesses. Our clients appreciate that we do more than just give advice. They can rely on us to respond to their specific needs, i.e. help them make the best deals, locate financing and implement plans.
- We work at the same speed as our clients. Our clients have to make decisions and take action quickly, so we’re right there to help make that happen.
- We are committed to attracting, developing, and retaining highly qualified people. We are very team-oriented and treat all team members fairly. We provide flexibility in our work environment, and show respect, trust and high integrity to our team members. This stems from our Values and Culture.
Our business is growing due to our success in attracting new clients and through increasing involvement with our existing clients.
We feel that this direct exposure to our practice of providing value-added services to an extensive range of clients in various sectors results in “second to none” training and experience for all students and staff CPAs. Your role as a business advisor will prepare you well for a long career at KMSS. In addition, our membership in DFK International provides opportunity to work abroad.
KMSS recognizes that our people are our most valuable asset. Therefore, we share in the responsibility of doing what we can to contribute towards the day-to-day health and wellness of our team. We work hard to provide opportunities to our team members that allow them to take time to enjoy their personal life. Vacation is always encouraged, and we offer paid time for medical appointments.
We expect every KMSS team member to work hard – you have to be dedicated, and you have to provide value to the firm and its clients. But we do offer our people the opportunity to achieve balance, such as by spending more time caring for their families or pursuing their passions and interests. KMSS’s partners, managers and other team members have a broad range of personal interests, and all of us love Alberta and the incredible opportunities it offers.
Flexible Work Hours
There is more to life than work! That is why we offer flexibility to all of our people. We offer flex time around core hours allowing our employees to create a schedule that works best for them. Outside of busy season, time off is very open, and team members are permitted to take additional unpaid time off if they choose.
Flexible work arrangements are available – we offer them, and we mean it. These arrangements include four-day weeks, reduced summer hours, flex hours and eight flex days per year. Your compensation will be proportionate to the amount of work performed. As a KMSS team member, you will have freedom of choice, but your choices will have a financial impact. You can work less, but the result will be that you are paid less.
On a day-to-day basis, our “core hours,” i.e. the time we require everyone to be at work, are 9 am to 3 pm. As long as they meet their client commitments and work requirements, team members are free to structure their day to suit their personal needs, by choosing to start earlier or work later. On a seasonal basis, our busier period is January through June, and all of us work more hours during that period. From July through December, overall hours are lower.
We offer a variety of social activities throughout the year, fostering the long-lasting relationships built within our firm. At KMSS our social committee leads the way in planning events, from laser tag to scavenger hunts, for all to enjoy.
Complimentary beverages are readily available in our team kitchens, and various snacks and meals are provided throughout the year.
Some of the team building events we have had in the past year include:
- Laser Tag
- Tax Party at Aussie Rules
- The Stampede Rodeo
- Children’s Christmas Party
- Bowling at National
- The team contributed 80 hours of firm time to the Food Bank, the Drop-in Center, and the Mustard Seed